Stokes & Company

Antiques for a Modern Living







Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Blessings

Dear Friends,

Although I started this blog to showcase my store, I felt the need to share something with you all that is personal. 

A  few weeks ago while traveling out of town, I heard a sermon on the radio about how God gives each of us different  gifts and skills to glorify his name and to be a blessing to others by putting our talent to use. Everyone has something they can do. Which left me to ponder what I was doing to be a blessing? Sure I feel I am good person…attend church…pray…read the bible….etc…..but what  am I really doing that is significant?

In a time and age when everything is so fast paced..and every minute of the day is taken up with work, business, kids, home, tasks, chores, it seems that I have just been caught up in the  hustle and bustle of the season. 

I feel that I am so fortunate and blessed. Even through this year has been tough for my family and me we have so much to be grateful for.

In that four hour trip, I had a conversation with God.  Thanking him and praising his name. ( mainly letting him know just how much I loved him and how thankful and humbled I am by the change he has made in my life ) I asked him how I could be of use  and to show me what I can be doing to honor him.

The following week I got my response, I was listening to my little cousin saying how most of her life she never had received a Christmas gift, much less decorated for Christmas.  Her  father died when she was just a little girl and my aunt could not afford anything extra.  They lived in a country where there is no handouts, no assistance for single parents, there is no help from the government, charities, assistance programs etc., so you just make do.  As she was telling me this it really touched me. How many kids will not get one gift? They will never know what it feels like to receive a special something and to be thought of on this very special day. In that moment God put it in my heart to do my part. To use my skill and to be a blessing to others.

It took a little bit of work but I was able to contact a pastor in Cuidad Acuna Mexico  and work with him on touching the lives of 50 children.  I will be taking each one of them a  goodie bag.  Each goodie bag contains a  small toy, or lotion, socks and candy.  housechristmas 011

housechristmas 013

housechristmas 014

The reason I am sharing this with you is in hopes that next year  we can increase the amount of children that will receive these. I would like to ask that if you find it in your heart to donate a small toy, mittens, scarf's  or any item will do, we can do something significant. I will be collecting items all year.

I will  be sharing photos of this journey with you upon my return.

You can bring them by my store or mail them to 855 Butternut Abilene, Texas 79602

God Bless You Dear Friends

 

P.S. Special Thanks to my cousin and friends that  have helped me,  and motivated me to do this! 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Precious Dalia, bless you for hearing and obeying. Safe travels tomorrow. I know He goes with you. A big hug! I'll be looking for goodies for next year.Thanks for sharing.

Happy Birthday Jesus!
Roxanne
www.roxannetheartist.blogspot.com/

molly said...

Dalia,
You can count me in! I wish you would have told us about it this year so we could have helped you. You are so right -we are so blessed and we just need to look around to find others to bring some blessings to. Its so funny how God puts things on our hearts in such strange ways-even through a radio! We serve a awesome God!
Merry Christmas Friend

Garden Antqs Vintage said...

What a truely special thing you are doing and I know God sees your heart and will bless you for this! Merry Christmas, T

trash talk said...

I wished I had read this earlier (blame it on the hustle and bustle you wrote so eloquently about). I will be mailing you some things for next year. It will be after Christmas before I mail it, but as I find things I'll send them along. I only wish I had been able to get them to you for this year. May God bless you for listening to the whisper He gave you.
Merry Christmas!

Stokes and Company said...

It touches my heart each time I read yall's messages. Thank you for the support and the good wishes. I'll be posting pictures of the trip next week.

Merry Christmas!